Potato-Caraway Loaf Recipe
Leftover mashed potatoes? Here's a great bread to use it up.
Since I don't like the texture of caraway seed in my bread. I'll grind it in my coffee grinder. If you prefer, use the whole seed.
Cost per serving $0.07 view details
- 1 Pkg. Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 Cup Warm Water (105° - 110°F)
- 1 Cup Mashed Fresh Potato
- 1 Cup Plain Non-Fat Yogurt, Strained
- 2 Large Egg Whites, Lightly Beaten
- 1 Tsp. Caraway Seed, Ground
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 3 - 3 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients except flour and cornmeal. Stir in enough flour, 1 cup at a time, to make dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; gently roll in flour to coat. Knead 10 - 12 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Spray large bowl with non-stick cooking spray. Place dough in bowl and turn to grease sides up. Cover and let rise in warm place 1 - 1 hour 30 minutes or until dough doubles. * Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- Spray 2 loaf pans 9 x 5 x 3-Inches or 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5-Inches, with non-stick cooking spray; sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. Punch down dough, and divide in half. Place in pan; pat and smooth with floured hands. Cover and let rise in warm place about 30 minutes or until doubled.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Bake about 35 minutes or until golden brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans. Cool on wire rack.
- Yield: 2 Loaves
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 29g|
|Recipe makes 32 servings|
|Calories from Fat 3||5%|
|Total Fat 0.4g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.18g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 10.79g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|