Potato and Sweet Potato au Gratin with Herbs Recipe
Cost per serving $1.38 view details
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (can substitute russet, but gold are prettiest)
- 1 1/2 pounds medium sweet potatoes (can substitute yams)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp each dried chopped rosemary, sage, thyme, Italian parsley, fine sea or kosher salt (substitute 1 Tbsp fresh herbs for any of these dried alternatives)
- 3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups packed, coarsely grated Gruyere cheese (~5oz)
- Fill a large bowl with cool water. Take 1 Yukon Gold potato at a time, peel, then cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds and place in water. Repeat with sweet potatoes.
- Combine cream, butter, and garlic in medium saucepan; bring to simmer. Remove from heat. Mix all herbs in small bowl. Mix sea salt and black pepper in another small bowl.
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Drain potatoes, then pat dry. Transfer half of potatoes to prepared baking dish. Use hands to distribute and spread evenly. Sprinkle with half of salt-pepper mixture, then half of herb mixture. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat with remaining potatoes, salt-pepper mixture, herb mixture, and cheese. Pour cream mixture over gratin, pressing lightly to submerge potato mixture as much as possible. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and chill. Remove plastic wrap before baking.)
- Preheat oven to 400Â°F. Cover gratin tightly with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until top of gratin is golden and most of liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes; serve.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 81g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 138||70%|
|Total Fat 15.74g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 9.66g||39%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 9.31g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5%|