Portuguese sweet rice Recipe
Easter is coming and this is one of the most traditional Portuguese desserts and all over the country you will find it.
There are different local ways to make it. This is our family recipe.
It’s absolutely delicious!
- water enough to cover de rice (+-1 cup)
- 2 cup white rice (round grain)
- a pinch of salt
- 8 cup hot milk (whole works best)
- 2 + 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 fresh lemon rind (use a vegetable peeler for big pieces for easier removal)
- 6 egg yolk slightly beaten
- 2 cinnamon stick
- cinnamon for topping
- Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan with a pinch of salt.
- Add rice and cover, simmering for 20 minutes (until soft).
- Add milk and lemon rind, stirring constantly until thickened to oatmeal (or risotto) consistency, about 15-20 minutes.
- It will also thicken while cooling.
- Remove from heat and carefully stir in the egg yolks and sugar.
- Pour into one large serving plate and remove lemon rind and cinnamon stick.
- Spread flat and allow to cool.
- You can be decorative with cinnamon by pinching a bit between your fingers and place it while your hand is no more than an inch away from the rice (criss cross patterns are traditional, or you can write some words â it takes some practice), or you can just dust the entire top with the cinnamon.
- Serve at room temp, but refrigerate uneaten portion.