Perfect Bread and Butter Pickles Recipe
Not too sweet and not too sour, these old-fashioned pickles are crisp and crunchy. " Better than Grandma's" is the comment I most often hear. They are great for snacking on and perfect on a hamburger or hot dog. Refrigerator pickles are quick to make and will last in the refrigerator for at least 3 weeks. I use a mandolin style slicer to get even slices. Be sure not to slice the cucumbers too thinly. Fatter slices stay crunchy. I use Persian or pickling cucumbers. This recipe is slightly modified from a Food & Wine recipe by Jim Fobel, a very talented chef.
- 2 lbs cucumbers, Persian or pickling
- 1 large or two medium onions, prerably white
- 6 ice cubes
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, raw or organic if possible
- 1 Tbsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Trim the ends off the cucumber and slice them into 1/4 inch slices. Cut the onion in half through the ends and peel. Slice as thinly as possible. If using a large onion, cut pieces I half to make quarter moons. In a large bowl combine the cucumber sliced, onion slices, ice cubes and salt. Let stand for one hour, tossing occasionally. Fill the bowl with water and the drain in a colander. Rinse and drain three more times to rinse off all the salt.
- In a large non-reactive saucepan combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, celery seed and turmeric. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the cucumbers and onions. When the mixture barely begins to boil again remove from heat. Transfer the vegetables back to the large bowl and let cool to room temperature. Pack into a quart size canning jar or one quart bowl, making sure the vegetables are completely submerged. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- These pickles are best if they sit in the reefrigerator for at least 3 days but can be eaten after sitting overnight. They will last 3 weeks or more in the refrigerator.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 1821g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 11||7%|
|Total Fat 1.27g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 35.11g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||8%|