Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Recipe
Cost per serving $0.46 view details
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 drops red food color (optional)
- 3/4 cup crushed peppermint candy (about 8 candy canes (not miniature ones)
- Bring an inch or two of water just to boiling point in bottom of a double boiler, then cover pan and maintain at a simmer. (If you don't have a double boiler, place ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over low heat, but be patient because it will take longer on low to reach the consistency needed.)
- Mix together the sugar, cornstarch and salt in top compartment pan of double boiler.Stir in the milk, corn syrup and beaten eggs. Place pan on top of simmering water of double boiler.
- Stir constantly til slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. The mixture will change from a thin milky appearance on metal stirring spoon to one that starts to coat the spoon (see photo.)
- Chill cooked batter about 30 minutes (or overnight or several hours ahead if you want to break up preparation time.)
- Stir in whipping cream, peppermint extract and food color (optional.)
- Following manufacturer's instructions, freeze ice cream batter until partially set (about 3/4 of the time to doneness), then add crushed peppermint candies and continue freezing until desired consistency.
- Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 quarts.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 109g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 67||34%|
|Total Fat 7.49g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 4.31g||17%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 30.08g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1%|