Pasta with Sauteed Vegetables, Olive Oil & Tomato Sauce Recipe
Cost per serving $1.83 view details
- 2 lbs fresh, ripe tomatoes or 2 cups canned, imported Italian plum/pear tomatoes cut up with juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot (or 1/2 cup baby carrots) chopped
- 2 large sticks celery chopped
- 1 lb pasta (penne or rotini)
- If using fresh tomatoes...Cook tomatoes in hot water for 10 minutes, transfer tomatoes (not water) to a blender and puree. For a thicker sauce, instead drop raw tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute. Cool under cold water. When cool remove skin and cut into eighths. Pour tomatoes back into pan and simmer for 20 minutes
- If using canned tomatoes, skip previous step and proceed.
- Put olive oil, chopped onion in large saucepan and cook on medium until onion becomes pale gold
- Add carrot and celery and cook on medium high for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cooked, fresh or canned tomatoes and a pinch of salt (if fresh), stir. Adjust heat as necessary to cook at a steady low simmer. Make sure to leave pan uncovered, or the sauce will not reduce to the desired concentration and texture. Cook for 45 minutes or to taste, stirring occasionally.
- Correct for salt and pepper to taste.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 416g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 178||28%|
|Total Fat 20.25g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 2.9g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 98.3g||26%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.6g||25%|