Pasta with Grape or Cherry Tomatoes Recipe
This is a great pasta from an island off the coast of Italy that I adapted from Giada de Laurentiis. The roasting of the tomatoes and capers with the bread crumbs makes for flavorful and original pasta. I've served this with and without basil, and prefer it with basil though it is delicious either way.
- Butter, for greasing
- 2 cups (12 ounces) red cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups (12 ounces) yellow cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup Italian-style seasoned dried bread crumbs (optional)
- 1 pound penne or other short tube-shaped pasta (we use Barilla-plus)
- 1 1/4 cups grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped basil leaves
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375Â°F. Lightly butter an 8 x 8-inch glass baking dish and set aside.
- Combine the tomatoes, capers, olive oil, salt, and pepper in the baking dish . Toss to coat. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the tomato mixture. Drizzle the top with olive oil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is golden. Cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but still firm to the bite, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, reserving about 1 cup of the pasta water. Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl. Spoon the tomato mixture onto the pasta. Add the cheese and toss well. If needed, thin out the sauce with a little pasta water.
- Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with parsley and basil, toss once more, and serve immediately.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 315g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 249||33%|
|Total Fat 28.43g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 15.39g||62%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 110.59g||29%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.4g||25%|