Pappardelle with Lamb Ragu Recipe
- 600 gm boneless lamb shoulder, trimmed of fat and sinew, cut into 2.5cm dice
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp of dried chili flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 250ml dry white wine
- 1 x 400gm can of whole plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 red pepper (capsicum), thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper (capsicum), thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Fresh or packet Pappardelle pasta for 4
- 80g of freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
- Pappardelle with Lamb Ragu
- 1.Combine lamb with Â½ tsp of sea salt and Â¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper in a non-reactive bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
- 2. Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, add garlic, chili flakes and bay leaves, cook while stirring for 1 minute. Turn the heat to high and add lamb, stirring occasionally until brown for 3-4 minutes each side.
- 3. Add white and cook until it's almost evaporated, or for about 8-10 minutes.
- 4. Add chopped plum tomatoes and juices, tomato paste and finely sliced peppers (capsicum). Cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and cook for 2 hours. Stir ragu occasionally and add a little extra water if the liquid dries out.
- 5. About half way through cooking, taste the ragu and add a little salt if necessary. After two hours of cooking, remove the saucepan from the stove and allow the ragu to cool slightly. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the lamb chunks from the saucepan onto a clean chopping board. Use two forks to shred the tender meat then place it back into the saucepan. Add chopped parsley and stir well. Set aside while you cook the pasta.
- 6. Bring salted (1 Tbsp of salt) water to the boil in a large saucepan. If using fresh pappardelle, cook it for several minutes until it is al dente and then drain. If using packet Pappardelle, cook it according to packet instructions -- usually longer than fresh pasta.
- 7. Toss pasta with lamb ragu and serve immediately with freshly shaved Parmesan cheese.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner