Street vendor sandwiches popular in the state of Vera Cruz. You can use any meat or poultry filling you wish (see links). The sauce is wonderful, and can be frozen.
Get out the napkins!
Cost per serving $1.02 view details
- Sauce (make a day in advance):
- 1 lb. tomatoes, blanched and cored
- 3 guajillo chiles, roasted, seeded - if you can find guajillo powder, use 1 1/2 tbs.
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2-3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tbs. corn or olive oil
- 1/2 tbs. smoked cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch allspice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. potatoes, peeled chopped
- 2 tbs. corn oil
- 2 tsp. taco seasoning
- 1 lb. Mexican shredded meat or poultry (see links) I prefer chorizo.
- 2 avocados, sliced, or guacamole
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- queso fresco or feta crumbles
- 6 soft buns, like telera, bolillos, or other sandwich buns
- Drop the tomatoes in boiling water and remove them when the skins split.
- Roast the chiles under the broiler and when cooled, remove the seeds and stems.
- Saute the onions in the oil until browned a bit, then add garlic. Cook 30 seconds, add all other sauce ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and turn on low.
- Cook 45-60 minutes.
- Remove the guajillos and discard.
- Season to taste.
- Peel and dice the potatoes.
- Cook in the oil until golden brown and tender.
- Add your preferred shredded meat or poultry, combine with the cheese.
- Split and toast the buns.
- Spread refried beans on the top side of the buns, avocado slices on the other.
- Add the potato mixture and top with the sauce.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 233g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 119||42%|
|Total Fat 13.33g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 1.98g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0.02g|
|Total Carbs 39.51g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.4g||25%|