Onion Leek Garlic Squash soup gratin Recipe
Caramelized leeks, onions, roasted garlic accompanied by a complimentary sweetly roasted butternut squash.
French Onion soup is the inspiration that created this very comforting soup gratin.
For a dedicated post...refer to:
- . > (American / Metric measures) <
- . 1/4 cup-1/2 stick (60ml) unsalted butter
- . 1/4 cup (60ml) grape seed oil
- . 3 cups (750ml) 2 large, sweet onions, thinly sliced
- . 3 cups (750ml) 2 large leeks (white part), thinly sliced
- . 1/2 cup (125ml) Brandy
- . 2 large garlic cloves, roasted
- . 1/2 medium butternut Squash, roasted
- . 1 cup (250ml) water
- . 4 cups (~1 Litre) Chicken stock
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) sea salt (or more to taste)
- . 6 thick slices of crust bread, cubed and lightly toasted for croutons
- . 12oz. (350g) from Cheese selections: Emmental, Comté, Gruyère, Monterey Jack
- . Refrigerate leeks and onions before thinly slicing them.
- . In a large saucepan, melt together the butter and oil on MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Add the sliced leeks and onions to the pot. Sauté, while stirring them for no more than 10 minutes. Lower the heat to MEDIUM and continue stirring them once and a while for another 15 minutes.
- . Pour in the Brandy and stir to deglaze the bottom browning bits. Again, lower the heat to MEDIUM-LOW so that the onions can cook down to a deep caramelized stage.
- . Place a cover over the saucepan with it slightly ajar to have moisture escape slowly. This will take another 20 minutes or until the onions have reduced into a deeply rich jam-like consistency.
- . Increase the heat back to MEDIUM-HIGH heat and add both the mashed, roasted garlic as well as the roasted squash. Pour in the water and chicken stock along with the salt.
- Once it has reached a boiling point, reduce the heat back again to MEDIUM-LOW and simmer for the final cooking of about 20 minutes or so.
- . > ASSEMBLY: Meanwhile, if the bread croutons were not made ahead of time, the bread can now be cubed and lightly toasted. Set aside. Same goes for preparing the slices of selected cheese.
- . Prepare a baking sheet to soon place the oven-proof bowls. Pre-heat oven to 350F/180C/Gas4 and position oven rack in the center. Once the onion soup is ready, ladle it into the bowls, 3/4 of the way. Add a bit of cheese, followed by a few toasted croutons and finally topped with more cheese.
- . Bake for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted with its anticipated golden edges. They are ready to serve.
- . Enjoy Claudia's flavourful wishes at FOODESSA.com