Nuts for BAKLAVA phyllo pastry . Recipe
Snacking on nuts by the park highlighted my desire to try making Baklava my way. Flaky pastry phyllo layered with a nut variation, while sweetened with a light citrus syrup. Don't shy away from making this delight. Although the recipe may seem long and complex, it really is not that difficult.
For a detailed post...refer to:
- . > (American / Metric measures) <
- . > BUTTER and oil mix:
- . 1/2 cup (125ml) clarified Butter
- . 1/2 cup (125ml) grape seed oil
- . > NUT mix:
- . 2-1/2 cups (400g) mix of choice nuts: roasted Almonds, Hazelnut (filberts), pecans, raw walnuts or pistachios
- . 3/4 cup (95g) confectioners' sugar
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) ground cinnamon spice
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) ground cardamom spice
- . 1 large orange, finely zested
- . pinch of sea salt
- . > PASTRY Phyllo layers: 14 sheets of thawed Phyllo pastry dough (divided in half at the shortest side)...This will yield [8+6+6+8] half sheets required
- . > SYRUP:
- . 1-1/2 cups (375ml) water
- . 1-1/4 cups (140g) granulated sugar
- . 1 Tbsp. (15ml) Orange Blossom water
- . > HONEY topping:
- . 1/2 cup (125ml) mild honey
- . 1 Tbsp. (15ml) lemon juice
- . Use a 9x12 inches (23x30cm) rectangle baking pan.
- . Butter and oil mix: Prepare the clarified butter and oil. Set aside.
- . Nut mix: With the aid of a food processor, pulse the nuts several times to coarse, pea-size pieces. Add the sugar, spices, orange zest and salt. Give the processor one last swirl. Transfer mix to a medium bowl. Set aside.
- . Assembly: Pre-heat the oven to 325F/160C/Gas3 for the first baking part. Position rack on the 2nd level from the bottom. Brush the butter mix all over the baking pan.
- . Unroll the Phyllo dough sheets. On the shortest length, cut the sheets in half. > Place the first pastry sheet and lightly brush every sheet with the butter oil mix until 8 layers are placed. Now,spread a third of the nut mix. REPEAT with another 6 layers and spread another third of the nut mix. REPEAT again for the next 6 layers plus nut mix. Finish off with the last 8 layers of buttered layered phyllo. NOTE: make sure to brush the last layer generously with the butter and oil mix. With a sharp knife, cut a few diagonal or straight rows. Careful not to cut all the way through. BAKE for the first 20 minutes at 325F/160C/Gas3.
- . Meanwhile...make the syrup: In a small saucepan, bring both the water and sugar to a boil without stirring it. Once the boiling point is reached, turn down the heat to MED-LOW. It should simmer briskly for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the orange blossom. Set aside.
- . In a small measuring cup, mix the honey and lemon. Set aside.
- . Second BAKE time: raise the heat to 400F/200C/Gas6. Take the pan out and pour the syrup mix between the cuts. BAKE for 15 minutes. Once out of the oven, immediately pour the honey-lemon mix all over the Baklava.
- . Let this rest for at least a few hours before digging in. This pastry gets better with time. Serve at room temperature. Store in a metal tin box lined with parchment paper. Will keep for over a month.
- . Claudia’s flavourful baking wishes...FOODESSA.com