Nkatekwan (groundnut soup) Recipe
This is a vegetarian adaptation of a traditional Ghanaian soup usually made with chicken.
Cost per serving $2.59 view details
- ginger, 1"
- vegetable stock, 4 cups
- peanut oil, 2 T
- onion, 1 - diced
- tomato paste, 2 T
- canned diced tomatoes, 14 oz.
- peanut butter, 2/3 cup
- Japanese eggplant, in 1/2" slices
- okra, 2 cups
- green chilies, 2, seeded and diced
- salt, ~2 t
- rice vinegar
- cayenne pepper
- 2 scallions,
- Drain the tomatoes, reserving any juice.
- Combine the stock, tomato juice and ginger. Boil for ~30 min.
- Salt the eggplant slices and place them on a tray to sweat. After 30 minutes, press them between paper towels.
- Over medium heat, cook the onion in the oil until soft.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the eggplant, tomatoes, chilies and okra and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Strain the ginger out of the stock; mix the peanut butter into the stock.
- Add the peanut butter/stock to the cooked vegetables and simmer covered for an hour. Replace water lost to evaporation to keep a smooth soup-like consistency.
- Season with salt, vinegar and cayenne.
- Serve piping hot.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 645g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 203||54%|
|Total Fat 24.13g||30%|
|Saturated Fat 4.58g||18%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 34.61g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 11.7g||39%|