Ninfa's Green Sauce Recipe
Ninfa, one of the pioneers in Tex-Mex cooking, used to serve this green sauce in her restaurants. Since she's passed, the Ninfa's near me has stopped adding avocados, no doubt due to the expense, which is not worth eating. So, I make my own.
The hardest ingredient to find may be green tomatoes.
Plan on making this salsa for 6 or more guests, as it doesn't keep very well until the next day.
This recipe has been printed in numerous publications over the years, including "The Houston Chronicle."
- 4 tomatillos, peeled, washed, cored, quartered
- 3 medium green tomatoes, cored, quartered
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1-2 jalapenos, seeded, chopped
- 3 medium Hass avocados, halved, seed removed, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 tbs. minced cilantro
- salt to taste (start with 1/4 tsp.)
- In a saucepan, cook the first 4 ingredients over a medium low heat until liquid has evaporated.
- Let cool.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 140g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 103||79%|
|Total Fat 11.72g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 6.67g||27%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 5.8g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.2g||4%|