My Versatile Hummus Dip Recipe
By substituting the main traditional ingredient in this hummus recipe (chickpeas) you I can create various types of delicious hummus dips. Instead of chickpeas, substitute sun dried tomatoes packed in oil (drained and rinsed); OR canned artichokes (drained and rinsed); OR roasted, marinated red peppers (drained and rinsed); OR avocado (fresh, peeled, chopped); OR eggplant (freshly grilled, peeled) or 1 to 2 cooked, peeled beets. So easy and versatile.
- NOTE: You can modify the traditional hummus which requires 1 cup of cooked whole chickpeas (drained and rinsed) or 1/2 can of chickpea pureed (drained of clear liquid);
- with the equivalent quantity of sun dried tomatoes OR canned artichokes OR cooked lentils OR red peppers (marinated) OR avocado (fresh) OR eggplant (grilled and chopped) or 1 to 2 beets (cooked and peeled).
- Traditional hummus recipe:
- 1 cup of whole cooked chickpeas or 1/2 cup pureed chickpeas (See note above regarding chickpeas).
- 3/4 cup tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic or 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- !/3 cup water or less until desired consistency
- 1 tbsp olive oil (for serving) and a pinch of paprika
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor except the olive oil and paprika and process, adding water slowly during the processing until the desired consistency is achieved. Adjust seasoning to your taste. Place the dip on a plate, add a little bit of olive oil on top and a sprinkle of paprika. Serve with pita bread or raw veggies. Enjoy!
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 48g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 95||64%|
|Total Fat 11.31g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 1.57g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 9.67g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||9%|