My favorite Stuffing without Meat Recipe
Cost per serving $3.81 view details
- 1 pound butter (4 sticks) or 1/2 pound butter and 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups minced onions
- 1 cup pine nuts or chopped walnuts
- 14-16 cups fresh bread crumbs (about 2 24oz loaves of bread. I used on artisan white and one wheat.)
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh sage leaves or 1 Tbsp crumbled dried sage
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups halved and sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup minced green onions
- 1 cup minced Italian parsley leaves (fresh)
- 1 cup chicken stock (if cooking on the stove, not needed for stuffing cooked in the turkey cavity)
- Chop the bread into very small cubes (1/3 inch) or mince in a food processor. Then bake for 5 minutes at 350 to dry.
- Melt butter with olive oil (if used) over medium heat in a large, deep dutch oven or casserole. Add the onions and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add the nuts and mushrooms, stirring, until they begin to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the bread crumbs and sage and toss to mix. Turn down heat to low and add salt, pepper, scallions, and parsley. Turn off heat.
- (You may prepare to this point up to one day in advance if stuffing is refrigerated in a sealed container.)
- Pack the stuffing in the turkey if you like or put in an ovenproof casserole and bake with turkey for the last 45 minutes. If you do this, stir in the cup of chicken broth to provide moistness.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 374g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 575||43%|
|Total Fat 65.87g||82%|
|Saturated Fat 32.27g||129%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 153.17g||41%|
|Dietary Fiber 11.2g||37%|