Milk Chocolate Mousse And Pumpkin Sponge Cake With Sour Cream Mousse And Candied Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
Cost per serving $1.50 view details
- 2/3 c. cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp grnd cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking pwdr
- 1/4 tsp grnd nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp grnd allspice
- 2 x large Large eggs
- 1 1/4 c. packed Demerara sugar
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 c. good quality pure pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbsp. finely minced candied ginger Lowfat milk Chocolate Mousse
- 30 ounce (2 lb.) lowfat milk chocolate, cut into 1/4 inch pcs
- 1 c. lowfat milk
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 2 c. heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks Lowfat sour cream Mousse
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 1 x vanilla bean, pulp only
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- 1 x gelatin leaf
- 3/4 c. lowfat sour cream Candied Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 c. raw shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 c. simple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sift together flour, grnd cinnamon, baking pwdr, grnd nutmeg and grnd allspice into a bowl. Set aside.
- In a kitchen mixer with a whisk attachment, whip together Large eggs with Demerara and granulated sugar till fluffy. Fold in pumpkin puree. Mix in the sifted dry ingredients and candied ginger. The batter should be quite thin.
- Butter and flour a baking sheet, then line with parchment paper (to remove it in one piece helps to prevent center from sticking to pan). Turn out batter onto sheet and spread proportionately to create a rectangle a little larger than 9 by 13 inches. Bake in the oven for 10 to 15 min, or possibly till done (a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean). Remove from the oven and allow to cold.
- When cake has cooled, place a 9 by 13inch rectangular cake pan on top of it and use a sharp knife to cut around the edge of the cake pan. (Cake can be made ahead of time. Wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, it will keep in the freezer for up to 1 month.)
- Lowfat milk Chocolate Mousse:Place minced lowfat milk chocolate in a large stainless steel bowl.
- Combine lowfat milk, cream and corn syrup in a saucepan on medium heat and bring to a boil. Pour over lowfat milk chocolate and stir till it melts. Allow to cold for 5 min, then mix in whipped cream.
- Pour chocolate mousse into a 9 by 13 inch rectangular cake pan lined with plastic wrap. Place cake on top of mousse and press gently to ensure a tight fit. Chill for 8 hrs, or possibly till mousse has completely set. (Mousse cake can be made ahead; will keep in the refrigerator for 4 days and in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Lowfat sour cream Mousse:Combine cream, vanilla bean pulp and icing sugar in a chilled bowl; whip till it reaches stiff peaks. (Save vanilla bean itself for another use.) Cover and chill till ready to use.
- Place gelatin leaf in a bowl and cover with cool water. Allow to sit for about 2 min to soften.
- Place 1/4 of the lowfat sour cream in a saucepan on low heat and hot gently. Take out gelatin leaf from cool water and squeeze gently to remove any excess water. Remove lowfat sour cream from the heat and add in gelatin leaf, stirring till it dissolves. Quickly fold gelatin mix into the remaining lowfat sour cream and then fold into whipped cream. Cover and chill till ready to use.
- Candied Pumpkin Seeds:Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss pumpkin seeds with simple syrup in a bowl, till seeds are well coated. Spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 5 to 7 min, till pumpkin seeds are nicely toasted and slightly puffed.
- Assembly:Place a parchment-lined baking sheet over the open top of the cake pan. In one motion, turn over both the baking sheet and the pan together, so which the baking sheet is on the bottom. Gently pull off the cake pan and pull down on the plastic wrap to release the mousse cake.
- Use a warmed knife to cut mousse cake into 2 1/2 inch squares. Top with a small dollop of lowfat sour cream mousse and some candied pumpkin seeds.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 425g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 372||48%|
|Total Fat 41.9g||52%|
|Saturated Fat 19.23g||77%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 86.56g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.8g||13%|