Mexican Cinnamon Sugar Cookies Recipe
These cookies, crunchy nuggets incrusted with cinnamon sugar, are quite popular in Mexican supermarkets in Texas. They are simple to make and require few ingredients or time. Delicious with coffee or hot chocolate.
Cost per serving $0.08 view details
- COOKIE DOUGH
- 1Â¾ cup flour
- Â¼ teaspoon salt
- Â¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (or replace with crushed anise seed to taste)
- Â½ cup vegetable shortening or lard
- Â¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brandy or milk
- CINNAMON SUGAR MIXTURE
- Â½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Sift or stir together in a bowl the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat the vegetable shortening with a mixer until light. Slowly beat in the Â¾ cup sugar until light. Beat in the egg and 1 tablespoon brandy or milk, mixing until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in the flour mixture. If it becomes too stiff to mix, stir in 1 tablespoon more milk until dough holds together and is semi-firm and can be shaped into rolls. If it is too stiff, the rolls will not hold together. If too soft, the rolls will not hold their shape.
- In a small bowl stir together the cinnamon sugar mixture and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface or pastry board knead the dough briefly until it holds together without cracking or breaking apart. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. Return 1 part to the bowl. On the lightly floured surface shape the other piece of dough into a log and with the palms of the hands roll it back and forth until it is about 12-inches long. With a sharp knife cut the log into fourths, then cut each fourth into 5 slices. Roll each slice in cinnamon sugar mixture and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Place slices about 1Â½-inch to 2-inches apart. Place cookie sheet in a preheated 350Â° oven, and bake until done, about 9 to 10 minutes. Cookies should not be over baked or browned. Remove from oven, and while cookies are still warm, roll each cookie again in the cinnamon sugar and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat the above process for the other piece of dough. You can probably do this while the first cookie sheet is baking.
- After all cookies have cooled, store them in a covered container or in a zip-lock bag.
- Makes about 40 cookies.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 16g|
|Recipe makes 40 servings|
|Calories from Fat 24||34%|
|Total Fat 2.73g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.64g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.86g|
|Total Carbs 10.64g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1%|