Mex-Italian Chili Recipe
One day I threw this together and everyone loved it sooooo much that now I have to make it all the time! It’s a little spicy, a little Tex-Mex, and a little Italian too! After I started calling it Mex-Italian Chili, the name stuck. Now I crave it all the time - whatever the season, it’s Mex-Italian Chili time! I like chicken sausage the best, but pork sausage is good too.
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage (chicken or pork - about 3 links)
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can black beans or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro or basil (plus additional for garnish)
- Feta cheese to garnish (or fresh grated Parmesan)
- Remove casings and crumble sausage into stew pot. Brown sausage and drain grease off.
- Add celery, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, tomato sauce, red pepper flakes, Montreal Steak seasoning and water.
- Bring to gentle boil and add 1/2 cup cilantro; reduce heat, add cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add beans and continue to simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cheese and extra cilantro.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 330g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 234||46%|
|Total Fat 26.06g||33%|
|Saturated Fat 9.72g||39%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 44.65g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.8g||36%|