Menudo Filipino Recipe
I grew up practically knowing Menudo as a special dish.I am very fond of it either.During occasions I would always include Menudo on my list because of its taste and versatility.Some older ones would prefer this with beer, gin or whisky.The children love Menudo with rice especially if it has slices of hotdogs included.Others like me,we love Menudo with white bread and the best characteristic of Menudo,it can also last longer,just keep it in a glass container and set aside in the fridge and it will last for a week.I have a friend who I remember,his great grandmother would cook menudo and the shelf life would last for months,wow!I wish I can do that.
- 600 gms pork shoulder butt cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 150 grams pork liver cut into small cubes(optional)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 can whole tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup beer
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic grated
- 2 large Chorizo Bilbao sliced in a round like rings
- 3/4 cup potato cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup carrot cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup raisin
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 to 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 cup olive oil + 2 tbsp +2 tbsp
- In a bowl combine the meat,soy sauce,rice wine and cornstarch.
- Mix until well combined and marinate for 3 hours.Set aside in the fridge.
- In another bowl.combine pork liver,apple cider vinegar and light soy sauce.
- Mix well and set aside in the fridge.
- In a sauce pan,heat 1/4 cup olive oil and brown the meat.Set aside
- Using the same pan,add 2 tbsp olive oil and fry the potato for 30 seconds.Set aside
- Using the same pan,add 2 tbsp olive oil and saute garlic and onion.
- Caramelize the onion then add 3 tbsp tomato paste.
- Saute the mixture for 30 seconds and add the browned pork and slices of chorizo
- Mix until well combined then...
- Add the whole chopped tomato including the sauce,beer,paprika,oregano and bay leaf
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes then add 3 cups chicken broth.
- Cover again and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes,add the liver,potato,carrot,chickpeas,fish sauce,salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes then add grated cheddar cheese,red bell pepper cubes and raisin
- Check the taste and simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Turn off the heat.Now ready to serve.
- Note: My family is not a pork liver fan,so I did not add pork liver here but don't worry the taste is rather great without it.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 187g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 36||22%|
|Total Fat 4.06g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 1.51g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 17.33g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.0g||10%|