Mediterranean Steak Ragu Recipe
Beef is joined with flavors of the Mediterranean and blissfully simmered into taste-bud matrimony. Garam Masala makes a simple yet outspoken appearance featuring spinach. The richness of olives and hearty tomatoes meld together for a dish that can stand alone or smother aromatic jasmine or basmati rice. Also, this dish can be eloquently served with simple crusty artisan bread drizzled in olive oil and doused with fresh cracked pepper.
- 2 lbs. top round steak, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. Garam Masala
- 1/4 c. worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 c. low sodium beef consomme
- 7 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 c. black olives, sliced
- 1 14 oz. can stewed tomatoes
- 32 oz. creamy tomato soup
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 lb. pkg. fresh or frozen spinach, if frozen- thawed and drained
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a 5 quart dutch oven, heat 1 tsp. oil ( per batch) and bay leaves to medium- high and brown beef in small batches. Once all beef has been browned, re-add to dutch oven and add onions. Reduce heat and cook until onions are translucent but not browned-about 5 minutes.
- Add stewed tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, red pepper flakes, worcestershire and consomme. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer until meat flakes apart with a fork-about 2 hours. Break meat apart with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Next, add onion powder, garam masala, tomato soup, brown sugar and spinach. Simmer until heated through.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 327g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 117||27%|
|Total Fat 13.12g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 1.91g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 81.47g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.2g||11%|