Mediterranean Filet of Sole Recipe
Dover Sole was on sale at the local supermarket, and I felt inspired to try an recreate some of the simple, delicious flat fish dishes while traveling through the Greek Islands. Everyone raved about the outcome. This will take you to Mikonos...whether you've been there before or not!
- 3 pounds Dover sole filets (or petrale sole, flounder, or other flat fish)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt or sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1-2 lemons cut into wedges.
- Place fillets in a bowl and cover with the cup of wine. Let rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Take a pyrex or other casserole dish and place a paper towel in the bottom. Take 5-6 fillets, however many will fit, and lay them in a single row on the paper towel. Using a another paper towel, pat the tops dry. Hold the kosher salt about 18 inches above the fish, evenly shake salt onto the fillets below. Do the same with black pepper, paprika, and finally with the flour. Place a dry paper towel over the first row of fillets, and repeat with another row. Continue until all the fish have been done. (Note that only one side of each fillet will be seasoned. This is OK.)
- Heat a large non-stick frying or saute pan over high heat. Pour in about 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil and 1 Tbsp of butter. Put in 1/3 or so of the chopped garlic, and spread evenly around the pan with a spatula. Lay 4-5 fillets into the pan seasoned side down, as many as will fit without squeezing. While fillets are cooking, season the tops of the fillets with a light sprinkling of salt and paprika. Flip the fillets after 1 minute, and cook for an additional minute on the other side. Remove from pan and place in a warming pan in an oven heated to 200 F. Repeat saute procedure for the remaining fillets. This should take 3-4 batches.
- Serve with lemon wedges (they are a must!) and with pasta seasoned with garlic/butter/olive oil, or with rice pilaf.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 62g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 158||81%|
|Total Fat 17.94g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 4.62g||18%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 3.73g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|