Mango Shrikhand Recipe (Mango Yogurt) Recipe
Mango Shrikhand is an Indian sweet treat made with fresh mango pulp, thick yogurt, flavored with aromatics like saffron, cardamom, and pistachio. Mango Shrikhand or Amrakhand is a popular Maharashtrian delight, served with the main meal during the summers. The sweet and thick pulp of the tropical beauty is pureed to smooth texture then blended with hung curd, which in the native dialect called as “Chakka”. The condensed homemade yogurt is hung in the soft muslin cloth in the kitchen at certain height to drain all the excess whey from the yogurt, what remains behind is the supple, cotton-like chunks of pure white yogurt. During the hours when yogurt is hung, it gradually transforms personality from humble slurpy liquid to soft cheese, which melts in the mouth. The marriage of honeyed mango puree and the sweetened hung curd is in real sense match made in heaven and a pinch of saffron, cardamom strengthens the bond between the two.
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 litre of thick yogurt (curd)
- 2 - 3 green cardamom pods
- ⅓ Cup powdered sugar or to taste
- A pinch of saffron strands dissolved in 2 tbsp of warm milk
- To prepare the mango puree, add the mango cubes in a blender (buy it here) along with a tablespoon of water. Blend till smooth. Transfer to a bowl and keep in the fridge
- Next place a muslin cloth or clean kitchen cloth over the sieve. Pour yogurt in the cloth, tie the muslin cloth at a higher point in the kitchen with a bowl placed below it. This way all the excess liquid will drain out from the yogurt and the end result will be thick soft cheese like hung curd.
- It usually takes 5 - 6 hours to prepare the hung curd or best leave it tied up overnight.
- Add the hung curd along with mango puree, crushed cardamom pods, saffron soaked in milk and powdered sugar. Blend till combined well or simply whisk together all the ingredients to combine well.
- Keep the Shrikhand in the fridge to chill down before serving.
- Serve Mango Shrikhand chilled garnished with chopped mango cubes and pistachio slivers.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 71g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 2||4%|
|Total Fat 0.19g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.05g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 12.14g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|