Lovely Lamingtons Recipe
I wanted to add a sweet recipe before I take a break for a few months welcoming our new baby to this world...
I've heard a lot about Lamingtons from our friends and was always curious to know what it tasted like, well I tried it and I must say Its gonna gonna go on my top-desserts-to-try list.
Its an Australian cake, served usually at cafes and bakeries, man do I envy them ;-)
Try this out and u'll love it.
I have taken the recipe from Laxmi Nair's version on youtube.
- All purpose flour - 2cups
- Baking powder - 2 tsp
- Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
- Salt -1/4 tsp
- Eggs - 2 large
- Butter - 4oz ( 1 stick unsalted butter)
- Powdered Sugar - 7 tblsp
- Milk - 1 cup ( can add 1/4 cups more as per requirement)
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- For Coating the cake:
- Cocoa powder - 3 tblsp
- Butter - 1 1/2 tblsp
- Powdered Sugar - 3cups
- Hot Water - 1/2 cup
- Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp
- Dessicated coconut (unsweetened) - around 1 1/2 cups
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a square cake pan with butter and keep aside.
- In a large bowl add the dry ingredients: All purpose flour, Baking powder, Baking soda and salt and whisk/ sift it well, almost twice.
- Next, in another bowl , add butter and powdered sugar and blend or mix it well until a nice creamy texture is obtained.
- Add the egss one at a time and mix well.
- Now add the flour mix and some milk alternately until a smooth batter without lumps is formed.
- Finally add the vanilla essence and mix well. If batter is too thick, you may add some more milk to smoothen it.
- Add the cake batter into the cake pan and bake at 350F for 30-35mins or until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.
- Once the cake is cooled, cut the cake into small Sqaures (approx 2x2 inch) - [I made bigger squares as I used a rectangular cake pan]
- Preparing the chocolate coating:
- In a large bowl mix the cocoa powder and powdered sugar.
- Boil 1/2 cup water in a skillet and melt 1 1/2 tblsp butter in it.
- Pour it into the bowl of cocoa-sugar and mix until a nice creamy chocolate coating is obtained.
- Now using a fork , prick a square of the cake and dip it into the chocolate coating and hold it up to drain off any excess chocolate and finally roll it over the dessicated coconut. (I used my hands for this part...its fun to lick off the chocolate and coconut later ;-) )
- Arrange the lamingtons on a plate and you may refrigerate for sometime or overnight for the chocolate coating to set.
- Lamingtons are reday to eat now ...yummmy!!
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 33g|
|Recipe makes 30 servings|
|Calories from Fat 34||28%|
|Total Fat 3.91g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 2.38g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 21.0g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1%|