Light Whole Wheat Sourdough Oatmeal Rolls Recipe
The recipe name says it all, except for a touch of honey and molasses in the dough.
You can shape the rolls any way you want, but I like to roll them and place them close together, so they rise next to each other.
Eat them with honey butter for a real treat.
Makes 12 dinner rolls.
- 1/4 cup warm water (105-115 F)
- 2 tbs. honey
- 2 tsp. yeast
- 1/2 cup active (fed) starter
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 tbs. molasses
- 2 tbs. melted butter">butter or butter">butter flavored Crisco
- 1/4 cup instant oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup AP flour, plus more
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- egg glaze:
- 1 beaten egg
- 4 tsp. water
- oatmeal flakes
- Proof the yeast in the water and honey.
- In a mixing bowl, add the egg, beat it, then add starter and butter. Mix.
- Add all dry ingredients, stir.
- Add enough AP flour until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Flour a work area and knead dough 5 minutes, adding a bit of flour, until you have a firm dough.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Punch down and form into desired shapes.
- Let rise a second time until doubled.
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Make glaze and brush on tops of rolls. Sprinkle on oatmeal flakes.
- Bake until golden brown on top, 12-15 minutes.
- Remove to a cooling rack, or serve hot.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 85g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 60||27%|
|Total Fat 6.92g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 3.13g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 32.57g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.8g||23%|