Lemon & Garlic Green Beans Recipe
It is rare to have a side dish which everyone keeps reaching for instead of the main dish. That's especially true if its a fairly simple green vegetable side. But these green beans were truly that good. We used packaged, thin french cut green beans from Trader Joes. They are tender and tasty on their own, but I've never had them taste anywhere near this good. Give this a try and you may have a new favorite vegetable side!
- 2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Blanch the green beans in a large stock pot of well salted boiling water until bright green in color and tender crisp, roughly 2 minutes. Drain and shock in a bowl of ice cold water to prevent further cooking.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and the butter. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. (We have kids with sensitive palates, so we added 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes and served the other 1/2 tsp on the table.) Add the beans and continue to saute until coated and heated through, about 5 minutes. Add lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 163g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 83||31%|
|Total Fat 9.5g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 3.18g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 36.94g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 14.4g||48%|