Lasagna Italiana Recipe
Inspired from the streets of Tuscany, I developed this recipe by reducing the amount of sodium, eliminating sugar, and reducing the total fat content of a traditional lasagna. Enjoy!
Servings: 12 servings
Cost per serving $0.99 view details
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely diced.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces extra lean ground beef, 90/10 blend
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 teaspoon dried ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped.
- 1 teaspoon Also Salt (salt substitute)
- 1 teaspoon Truvia (sugar substitute)
- 1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- 1 pound reduced fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces reduced fat, low burn mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute, over medium heat, the onion, garlic, and carrot in the olive oil until vegetables are translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and sausage, continue cooking over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Drain and return to skillet.Add seasonings, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and cook over meduim-low heat until seasonings have married well with beef mixture, about 4 minutes longer. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, bring 5 quarts of water to a rolling boil. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to water. Add lasagna and cook, over medium-high heat, until pasta is al dente, about 7 minutes. Run under cold water until temperature reaches 41 degrees.
- In a separate container, mix cottage cheese and egg until blended. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350F degrees. In a 11 x 9 baking dish, spray with Pam cooking spray. * Line a thin layer of beef mixture in bottom of pan. Add 1 layer of lasagna and 1 layer of cottage cheese mixture. Repeat from * with final lasagna noodles on top. Add mozzarella cheese, spreading evenly over top of dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place in oven, covered lightly with foil, for 45 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for 15 minutes more.
- Let rest for 10 minutes. slice into 12 servings.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 169g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 117||37%|
|Total Fat 13.15g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 4.48g||18%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 32.91g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.0g||7%|