Khaman Dhokla Recipe
Khaman Dhokla is a savory steamed cake with light and airy texture. The bright yellow color of the Dhokla comes from made gram flour and turmeric powder. After dumping many batches of Dhokla into the trash and during the period of trying different recipes I somehow managed to formulate this recipe.
- 2 Cup Gram flour (besan)
- 1 Cup sour curd
- 1 Cup lukewarm water
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp green chilli-ginger paste
- 1 tsp baking/cooking soda
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- For the tempering
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 - 5 curry leaves
- 3 green chilies slit into half lengthwise
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- Juice of 1 medium-size lemon
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- Approx. 2 Cups of water
- To prepare the Dhokla first sift the gram flour in a bowl. Next in another bowl whisk together yogurt and water for few minutes till the mixture is lump free.
- In small quantity add the liquid mixture to the sifted flour and stir to combine. Once the dropping consistency lump free batter is formed add the salt and stir to combine.
- Cover the batter and set aside in the warm place to ferment for three to four hours. I usually prefer keeping it inside the oven/microwave for fermentation. This process usually takes less time during the summer and monsoon season than the winters.
- When gram flour mixture has fermented, add turmeric powder and green chilli-ginger paste. Mix once again.
- Prepare the steamer plate by greasing with a tsp of oil. Keep aside until required.
- Now in a small bowl add lemon juice, soda bicarbonate, one teaspoon of oil and mix. The mixture will rise and turn frothy, immediately add it to the batter and whisk briskly. Do not whisk the batter for too long, once combined stop whisking.
- Pour the batter into the greased steamer plate and arrange it inside the steamer.
- Cover with the lid and steam for 8 - 10 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center to check the doneness. Once cooked bring it out of the steamer and let cool down for few minutes before inverting and cutting into pieces.
- To prepare the tempering, first make syrup of lemon, sugar and water. Taste and adjust the amount of lemon juice and sugar accordingly. Set aside.
- heat oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds, once seeds crackle, add curry leaves, green chilies. Sauté for few seconds and then add the lemon syrup. Bring to boil once and then turn off the heat.
- Pour this tempering over the dhokla pieces. At this stage you can keep Dhokla in the fridge to chill down and soak the syrup flavors or you can serve it immediately.
- Serve Khaman Dhokla with Chutney and a hot cup of tea.
- Soaking Dhokla in the lemon syrup for sometime is recommended.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 72g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 37||28%|
|Total Fat 4.16g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 0.38g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.08g|
|Total Carbs 20.07g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|