"Jewish penicillin”. Recipe
Chicken soup may contain substances with beneficial activity including an anti-inflammatory effect that could ease the symptoms of colds and other upper respiratory infections. Because of its healing power for respiratory illnesses like the common cold chicken soup has been called "Jewish penicillin”.
- 1 3-4 pound whole chicken or 4 chicken thighs, rinsed
- 2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- ½ cup carrots, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1 cups yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 cup celery, sliced ¼ inch thick
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Place the chicken into a large black cast iron pot.
- Cover with cold water by at least two inches
- Add the salt, chopped onion, carrots, celery and garlic.
- Bring the water slowly to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- ➢ Note: Note: you don’t want the stock to boil rapidly or the soup will turn out murky and cloudy.
- Adjust the heat so that a slow, lazy simmer is established.
- Cover partially and simmer for 1 hour, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface.
- Remove and discard the chopped onion, carrots, celery and garlic.
- Remove the chicken pieces and let rest until cool enough to handle.
- Skin and debone the chicken, leaving the meat in large chunks; set aside
- 10. Skim as much fat as possible from the surface of the broth.
- ➢ Note: Using chicken thighs, we had virtually no fat to skim.
- Season broth with white pepper.
- Add the coarsely chopped onions, sliced carrots and sliced celery.
- Continue to simmer until the broth is fully flavored and the vegetables crisp tender, about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Add reserved chicken.
- Heat through then ladle into a bowl.
- Garnish with parsley, and serve immediately.
- Changes: We added left over frozen corn and green peas to the heated soup when we added the deboned chicken. Frozen lima beans would also work.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 899g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 369||58%|
|Total Fat 40.92g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 11.7g||47%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 12.86g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.2g||11%|