Jan's Chicago Chili Recipe
I have tweaked and developed this recipe over 30 years. I think you will love it, as does all my family. It is a complete, healthy and satisfying meal.
Servings: 24 1.5 Cups each
Cost per serving $1.37 view details
- 4 pounds of Ground Beef, get the best beef you can afford
- 1 pound of Ground Pork
- 8 medium SWEET Onions (Vandaliaâs are the best, but when not in season, do the best you can), chopped very small
- 2 Green Peppers, chopped very small
- 2 Large ribs of Celery, chopped very small
- 1 bottle of Chili Sauce (by the ketchup section) (**secret ingredient)
- 4 Cans (1 pound, 12 oz each) of DICED tomatoes (7 pounds total)
- 8 Cans (15 Â½ oz each) beans, (8 pounds total), DRAINED! I usually get 2 cans each of light red kidney beans, dark red kidney beans, pinto beans, and black beans
- 1 Can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce
- Â¼ C finely diced jalapeno peppers, (the kind you put on nachos, secret ingredient)
- Â¼ C sugar (**secret ingredient)
- 4 T FRESH Chili powder (donât spoil your recipe using old spices, just not worth it)
- 2 T Kosher Salt (I only use Kosher Salt for everythingâ¦no plastic in it like Mortonâs)
- 1 T FRESH Garlic powder
- 1 T Cinnamon
- (you can adjust any of the spices for your individual preference)
- Cook and stir ground beef and pork in a large fry pan.
- When brown, I take an old fashion turkey baster to suck out all of the fat, you will suck off about 1 Â½ C of fat that you do not want in your chili!!
- In Â¼ C olive oil, sautÃ© onion, peppers, and celery in VERY LARGE stock pot till veggies are tender.
- Add meat to that VERY LARGE stock pot.
- Stir in Chili Sauce, diced tomatoes, reserved bean liquid, sauce, and seasonings. Do not add beans at this time.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours, uncovered.
- Now add beans.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Note the wonderful fragrance throughout the house!!! Might even get strangers knocking on your door!
- Makes 24 servings (1 Â½ cups each) or about 8 Quarts. Freezes great for those drop in guests!
- Top with shredded cheese, chopped green onions and/or fresh Jalapenos, and Oyster crackers.
- Serve with GREAT French (Baguettes) bread/butter and a great beer!
- Think of me when you partake and I will be forever happy!!
- I live to cook!!
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 189g|
|Recipe makes 24 servings|
|Calories from Fat 154||61%|
|Total Fat 17.14g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 6.67g||27%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 7.15g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|