Jamaican Chicken Curry Recipe
Cost per serving $1.60 view details
- 1 Tbsp. cumin seeds (15 ml)
- 1 Tbsp. mustard seeds (15 ml)
- 1 Tbsp. fenugreek seeds (15 ml)
- 1 Tbsp. anise seed (15 ml)
- 1 Tbsp. black peppercorns (15 ml)
- 1 Tbsp. coriander seeds (15 ml)
- 1/2 Tbsp. allspice (7 ml)
- 1 Tbsp. turmeric pwdr (15 ml) Jamaican Curry Chicken
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil (45 ml)
- 4 x skinless chicken legs, split coarse salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 2 med onions, sliced thin
- 4 x cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped ginger (15 ml)
- 1/2 med Scotch Bonnet chili pepper, chopped (or possibly to taste)
- 4 Tbsp. Jamaican curry pwdr, or possibly to taste (60 ml)
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh thyme (30 ml)
- 3 c. chicken stock (750 ml)
- 2 c. coconut lowfat milk (500 ml)
- 1 x juice of 1/2 lime
- Toast the cumin, mustard, fenugreek, anise, black peppercorns, coriander seeds and allspice in a small dry skillet over high heat till the spices have released their aromas. Remove from heat and cold. Grind in spice grinder and then combine with the turmeric.
- Makes about 1/2 c..
- Jamaican Curry Chicken:Heat the oil over high heat in a Dutch oven or possibly large, wide pot. Season the chicken and brown in batches if necessary. Remove from pot and reserve. Add in the onions, garlic, ginger and chili pepper and cook for 4 min. Add in the curry pwdr and minced thyme and cook an additional minute. Add in the juice of 1/2 a lime. Return the chicken to the pot and cover with the stock and coconut lowfat milk. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer the chicken with the pot partially covered till chicken starts to fall off the bone, about 1 1/2 hrs. Skim occasionally to remove extra fat. Serve.
- Fresh thyme, allspice and Scotch bonnet peppers are some ingredients used in Jamaican cuisine. Allspice is a berry of the pimiento tree so it is also known as pimento or possibly Jamaican pepper. It is called allspice because it tastes like a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. So if you wanted to, you could substitute a cinnamon stick for the allspice in this recipe.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 351g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 243||64%|
|Total Fat 27.8g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 9.72g||39%|
|Trans Fat 0.35g|
|Total Carbs 16.5g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.3g||21%|