Italian Chick Pea Soup Recipe
Chickpeas are one of my favorite ingredients in soup. They don't lose their texture or their nutty flavor. Whether in a spicy Harira (served during Ramadan) or in this mild flavored Italian soup, Chickpeas make soup both nutritious and delicious. This soup has been popular in Italian homes for over 1000 years, and it was recommended to us by a good friend who says it is her daughter's favorite soup.
- 4 whole garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 dried rosemary crushed or a large sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 cup canned imported Italian plum tomatoes in their juice
- 2 1/2 cups canned chickpeas drained, or 3/4 cup dried chickpeas soaked overnight and simmered for 45 minutes
- 1 cup beef stock or broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- With Pasta (optional)
- Add 2 more cups broth or stock
- 1/2 pound small tubular pasta (e.g. macaroni or small penne)
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot on medium, add the garlic, and saute until they are light brown about 30-60 seconds. Add the rosemary and the cut up tomatoes with juice. Cook for 20 minutes or until the oil floats free.
- Add the chickpeas and cook for 5 minutes, stirring thoroughly. Add the broth and adjust to a bubbling simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Taste and correct for salt. Add pepper to taste. Let the soup bubble for another minute and then serve if not adding pasta. If adding pasta, follow these steps:
- Remove 1/3 of the chickpeas and crush them in a bowl or puree them in a food processor, then put them back in the pot with the two extra cups of broth and bring to a moderate boil.
- Add the pasta, stir, and cover the pot. Stop cooking when the pasta is tender but still firm, about 5 minutes. Add more liquid if needed.
- When pasta is done, turn off the heat and swirl in the grated Parmesan cheese and butter. Taste and correct for salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 274g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 113||47%|
|Total Fat 12.86g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 3.01g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 24.9g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.8g||16%|