Italian Bread Appetizer Recipe
Italian Bread Appetizer is a delicious recipe for a great stuffed bread appetizer. This would work well for the fall and winter holiday season and also your game-day crowds. It is made with a frozen bread dough, stuffed with Genoa salami, Provolone cheese, olives, green onions and chopped garlic. Total time from start to finish is about (1 Hour-30 Minutes). It is also a low calories, low fat, low cholesterol, low sodium, low carbohydrates, low sugars, diabetic-friendly, heart-healthy and Weight Watchers (4) PointsPlus recipe.
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 (1 lb) loaf of frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/4 lb thin deli sliced Genoa salami
- 6 (1 oz slices), deli sliced Provolone cheese, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup sliced, stuffed green olives
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp water
- Poppy seed, optional
- Stir together butter and garlic in a bowl. Roll out bread dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch square. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet; brush with butter mixture.
- Layer salami, cheese, olives and onions in in a 3-inch strip down center of dough to within 1/2-inch of top and bottom, leaving 4-1/2 inches of dough on each side of filling.
- Cut twelve 3-inch long strips, 1-inch apart, along both sides of filling. Fold strips across filling at an angle, alternating sides to give a braided effect. Pinch dough at bottom and top to seal.
- Cover; let rise in a warm place 30-45 minutes or until almost double in size. Combine egg and water in a bowl; brush over braid. Sprinkle with poppy seed, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Bake 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet; cool 10 minutes. Cut into 16 equally sized slices.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 36g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 20||22%|
|Total Fat 2.31g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.83g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 14.56g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|