Isn’t there more to non-vegetarian food than just chicken and mutton? I think there is, too. Recipe
one of the young and popular cousins in the non-vegetarian food family is prawn. When pickled, she is fiery hot and finger-licking spicy – just the kind of medicine needed to bring your everyday meal back to life.
The art of pickling prawn is perhaps most skillfully displayed in the coastal areas of Goa and Andhra. Goans have, in fact, reportedly mastered this art.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Get These Ingredients
1. King prawns – 1 kg
2. White vinegar – 750 ml
3. Dry red chilies – 2 dozen
4. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
5. A piece of ginger of around the size of your thumb.
6. Cumin seeds – 4 teaspoons
7. 15-20 cloves of garlic (one large pod)
8. Oil – 7 tablespoons
9. Salt Directions
1. Wash the prawns. Ensure that the shell and the main central vein of the prawns are removed. Then dry it using a towel.
2. Rub turmeric powder and salt (according to taste) into the prawns and let this mix marinate for one hour.
3. Create a thick, smooth paste of garlic, ginger, red chilies, and cumin seeds. Add a little vinegar during this process.
4. On a pan that is left to heat on medium flame, add the prawns and stir fry till it turns golden in color. Drain this mix on paper towels and allow it to cool.
5. Now take the paste that you prepared earlier and fry it in 3 tablespoons of oil. Do this till the oil starts to separate from the masala.
6. Add the remaining vinegar into this mix and cook it on medium flame for 15 minutes more. Let it cool completely.
7. Now take a glass pickling jar and place prawns into it.
8. Then introduce the cool spice mix into this jar.
9. Mix the stuff in the jar really well and store it for a few days before you start munching.