Irish Chocolate Stout Cake Recipe
I am a lifelong chocoholic and love many types of chocolate cake. Very few have impressed me as much as this chocolate stout cake orignially from the Barrington Brewery in Great Barrington, Mass. The dark stout beer (I use Guiness) gives this cake an intense, not-too-sweet flavor. And it is enough to feed an army!
- 2 cups stout (such as Guinness)
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped (do not use unsweetened)
- For cake:
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F. Butter three 8-inch round cake pans with 2-inch-high sides. Line with parchment paper. Butter paper. Simmer 2 cups stout and 2 cups butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk smooth. Cool slightly.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a large bowl until blended. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend. Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine. Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed. Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Bake cakes until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer cakes to rack; cool 10 minutes. Turn cakes out onto rack and cool completely.
- For icing:
- Simmer cream in a heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add the chopped chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. Refrigerate until icing is spreadable, stirring frequently, about 2 hours.
- Place 1 cake layer on plate. Spread 2/3 cup icing over. Top with second cake layer. Spread 2/3 cup icing over. Top with third cake layer. Spread remaining icing over top and sides of cake.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 210g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 432||50%|
|Total Fat 49.86g||62%|
|Saturated Fat 30.44g||122%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 103.47g||28%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.4g||21%|