Indian Fry Bread Recipe
What is Isleta? Who is Isleta? Isleta is a Navajo Indian Reservation South of Albuquerque. The Indian Village at the NM State Fair was the place to go and get a fresh, hot, Indian Fry Bread or a Indian taco. Best memories of the fair was standing in a long line and finally devouring some Indian Fried bread or a tasty Indian Taco. Very easy recipe. Enjoy!
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add in shortening.
- Add enough water to make the dough stick together.
- Knead dough until it is smooth
- Divide dough into several palm-size balls.
- Place balls back in glass bowl for 15 minutes.
- *If using self rising flour omit baking powder and salt.
- Pat down the flour into palm size flat pancakes,
- Punch hole in center of dough.
- Fry in hot cooking oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Brown each side until they are golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 218g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 237||35%|
|Total Fat 26.85g||34%|
|Saturated Fat 6.16g||25%|
|Trans Fat 8.56g|
|Total Carbs 95.39g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.4g||11%|