This is a great snack for any time of year. I personally serve it with Kalamata olives and sometimes even diced cucumber and/or bell pepper.
Keep in mind that after blending, fine-tuning the mixture with slightly more tahini and/or lemon juice is often needed (see step 3). As a footnote, tahini is what gives the hummus its creamy texture and also reduces the strong taste of the garbanzo beans. For the longest time I did not like hummus until I realized adding more tahini is the key element for my taste preference.
Another key to enjoyment is finding a pita bread you like. For many years I ate a commonly available pita bread, but then discovered a much thinner pita bread at a Middle Eastern market in my area. Thin or thick, white or wheat, just find the type you like and enjoy !
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (slightly more if desired)
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini (add 1/2 tablespoon more if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (3 for a strong garlic element)
- Pita bread (microwaved or toasted) to serve
- Place water, lemon juice, oil, tahini, salt, and garlic in food processor. Slowly blend in garbanzo beans (roughly 1/3 can at a time; this method allows for thorough mixing)
- Blend until well mixed.
- After taste testing, add additional tahini or lemon juice as needed for taste and consistency.
- Spoon into serving bowl. Create a shallow well in the center of the hummus; add additional olive oil in well.
- Optionally, sprinkle top with cayenne pepper and/or Kalamata olives.
- Keeps in fridge for 2 to 3 days. Each 24 hours in fridge however, I prefer to blend in another 1 teaspoon water and sometimes 1/2 teaspoon olive oil before serving, since hummus mix often dehydrates somewhat in fridge storage.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 202g|
|Recipe makes 3 servings|
|Calories from Fat 140||40%|
|Total Fat 16.21g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 2.19g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 41.95g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.8g||26%|