Homemade Sofrito Seasoning Recipe
This is a version of the seasoning used in much of Latin America.
People often make a batch and freeze most of it in covered ice trays.
Sofrito is added to things like soups, stews, sauces, rice, chicken dishes, etc.
This version is made with ingredients readily available in groceries and Latin markets in America.
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded, chopped
- 2 mild green chiles, seeded, chopped
- 12-16 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp. Mexican oregano
- pinch cayenne
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- chicken or vegetable broth
- Saute all the veggies in a skillet until lightly browned.
- Add garlic and seasonings. Cook one minute more.
- Let cool.
- Process all ingredients in a blender until well-blended, adding just enough broth to get it to blend.
- Save enough for your recipe.
- Freeze the rest in small batches for future use.