Herb and Spice Brine Leg of Lamb Recipe
This may be one of my best creations yet. There are an array of herbs and spices, most from my own garden, that help bring this leg of lamb up to that of a prized dish in any locale. The lamb is seasoned in a brine refrigerated for up to 36 hours, so it is essentially a make ahead dish. There is no need for further seasoning afterwards aside from fresh cracked pepper! I made this recipe for Easter and I got rave reviews from my family and friends. Lamb is on a bit on the expensive side, but definitely worth the splurge!! Don't wait until next Easter to try this recipe and you'll see why I'm so proud of it!!
- 1 4lb. semi-boneless leg of lamb
- 1/4 c. kosher salt
- 1/4. c. brown sugar
- 1/4. c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. marsala
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed or mashed
- 2 stalks celery, cut in third's
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/2 lemon
- 5 sprigs chives
- 5 sprigs parsley
- 1/4 bunch cilantro
- 2 peppermint leaves
- 1 sprig oregano
- 6 allspice berries, crushed slightly
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dried Thai chile
- olive oil for drizzling
- Rinse and pat lamb dry. Trim off excess fat, leaving a very thin layer on top and discard any sinewy tissue.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, drizzle with olive oil and add all ingredients. Stir to combine and cook ingredients until aromatic- 3 minutes. Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and pour into 6 quart dutch oven. Add 2 more cups of water to cool off brine.
- Add lamb to brine and enough water to just cover and stir to distribute herbs and spices throughout solution. Add lid and refrigerate for at least 24 and up to 36 hours.
- When ready to prepare, Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Pour lamb and contents into colander in sink and wash out dutch oven. Rinse lamb and discard brine. Pat lamb dry and put back in dutch oven fat side up. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until meat flakes off with a fork. Baste with pan juices periodically to help keep moist and promote browning. Allow lamb to rest for about 20 minutes before serving.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 180g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1||3%|
|Total Fat 0.1g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.03g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 4.87g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3%|