Ground beef and Zucchini Saute Recipe
I had some fresh zucchini from our garden and I needed something quick to make. I found a recipe online and adapted it to make it a bit more flavorful. This is comfort food...not appropriate for a dinner party, but definitely tasty. If you spice it up and add a dollop of yoghurt on top, it is reminiscent of yummy side dishes served in persian and afghan restaurants.
- 2 medium zucchini, fresh cut in 1/4-inch chunks
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup salsa with tomatoes, onions and chiles
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper or cayenne pepper or spicy paprika to taste
- Brown ground beef with chopped onions and chopped garlic.
- Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until meat is well cooked. Pour off excess fat.
- Add jarred salsa, cumin, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer in low heat for another 10 minutes until favors blend.
- Add the zucchini chunks. Cover and cook for about 10 more minutes until zucchini is cooked, but not too soft. Taste and add additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve over steamed brown or white rice. (We used a mix of brown and white jasmine rice).
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 280g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 158||54%|
|Total Fat 17.49g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 6.73g||27%|
|Trans Fat 1.07g|
|Total Carbs 9.41g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g||7%|