Grilled Tuna Steaks over Arugula Salad Recipe
I adapted this recipe from one in Cook's Illustrated and served it during a trip to San Luis Obispo with friends. The vinaigrette was fantastic and the technique for marinating the fennel bulb slices in the vinaigrette to soften it is definitely a keeper. You could try this with just about any fish with good results I think. I prefer my tuna medium rare...so that's what this recipe will deliver. Grill longer if you want medium or well done.
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons torn fresh basil (or chopped thyme or rosemary)
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard (or dijon mustard)
- 2 1/2 tsp honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 5 oz tuna steaks
- 10 oz arugula leaves
- 1 small bulb of fennel
- 2 fresh ripe tomatoes
- Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Clean cooking grate and spray grill oil on liberally or brush repeatedly with well oiled paper towels.
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, basil, mustard, honey, 2/3 tsp kosher salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper together in a bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle oil into mixture.
- Clean the fennel and slice the bulb very thinly. Throw out the stalks and chop the fronds (leaves). Put the sliced fennel bulbs in the remaining vinaigrette and stir to coat. Slice the tomatoes thinly. On salad plates, spread a few handfuls of arugula and place tomato slices over the arugula.
- Pat fish dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Spread vinaigrette over fish with a spoon or brush.
- Place fish on grill and cook until grill marks form, about 2-3 minutes. Flip fish and cook until white at the perimeter and red at the center, about 2-3 more minutes. Remove fish from grill.
- Divide the marinating fennel bulb over the arugula and tomato on each plate. Place the grilled tuna pieces on top. Spoon any remaining marinade over the tuna and serve.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 89g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 164||88%|
|Total Fat 18.53g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 2.54g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 4.66g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|