Grilled Niman Ranch Sirloin Steak with Tapenade, Roasted New Potatoes and Baby Leeks Recipe
- Four 8 ounce top sirloin steaks
- 1 1/2 cup olives, pitted
- 2 Tbsp anchovies, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp capers, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4-8 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 12 new potatoes (red, white or yukon gold), size "C", about 1 1/2 " diameter
- 12 baby leeks
- For tapenade:
- Combine anchovies and garlic in a small, non-reactive saucepan. Barely cover with olive oil and cook over very low heat until the anchovies and garlic have essentially "melted" together and are incredibly soft. This will take about 30-45 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. Combine the anchovy-garlic mixture with the olives, capers and vinegar in a food processor. Process until mixture is homogenous but not completely smooth. Slowly add the olive oil to taste. Adjust the seasoning with fresh ground black pepper to give a little bit of a bite. Leave the tapenade a little loose (that is, with a bit more olive oil) so it can mix with the steak juices and become like a vinaigrette for the vegetables. Reserve.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Remove the dark green portions from the leeks so that they are about 4" in length. Split the leeks lengthwise from the top almost to the bottom. Leave enough of the bases intact to hold the leeks together. Trim the hairs from the root ends leaving just the littlest bit possible at the butt end. In cold water, gently rinse away any dirt from the leeks. Toss the leeks with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay the leeks in a single layer on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Roast the leeks for 10 minutes or until slightly brown and tender at the base. Reserve.
- Wash the potatoes under cold water and let dry. Cut into rounds about 1/4" to 1/3" thick. Toss the potatoes with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay the potatoes in a single layer on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Roast for about 12-15 minutes until lightly browned and tender. Reserve.
- Season the steaks liberally with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Grill over high heat for 3-5 minutes per side (to desired degree of doneness). Let the steaks rest for about 5 minutes, collecting any juices that are released. Mix the juices with the tapenade.
- While the steaks are grilling, return the leeks and potatoes to the oven to warm them. When hot, divide the vegetables equally among four plates.
- Place the steaks on the plates and serve with the tapenade on the side.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner