Grilled Jalapeno Cheddar Sausage & Red Potatoes, Duck Fat Fried with Cumin Sea Salt & Cilantro Garnish Recipe
Have a taste for a HOT hot dog with an upscale South of the Border touch? This is a hit.
Its a somewhat unusual sausage, but obtainable - or you can make your own (email me for the recipe).
I use duck fat here. I save the fat whenever I serve duck and I freeze it until I want that wonderful rich flavor in a dish. Of course, you may use the fat of your choice, or availability. Duck fat is often available in better grocery stores, in the frozen section.
In this dish, as I present it, I wanted to take the 'hot dog' to a new place. These are so good that no other condiments are necessary, however, I also pair this with a fresh, chopped veggie salsa - onion, tomato, a bit of serrano, cilantro, lime juice, well chopped and combined.
If you want to try something really tasty out of this recipe, but find the acquistion of some elements daunting - just try adding a pinch of ground cumin to the salt next time you make fries...it makes this dish.
This would be a light dinner for two.
- 4 jalapeno cheddar sausages
- 4 red potatoes, washed, skin on, cut in 1/4" rounds
- 1 C duck fat
- 1 TBS fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Bring thr fat to frying temp
- When the fat is ready, slide the disks in doing a single layer, don't crowd them.
- Fry, turning until golden brown, remove to a towel, pat with another towel and sprinkle the cumin-salt mixture lightly with a fine sieve
- Grill the sausages
- Repeat the frying procedure until all the potatoes are done
- Wash and towel dry the cilantro
- Chop the cilantro
- Arrange the potatoes around a plate
- Place the sausages in the middle of the potatoes
- Garnish with the cilantro and serve
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 538g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 910||74%|
|Total Fat 103.01g||129%|
|Saturated Fat 28.53g||114%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 67.97g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.3g||24%|