Green Lentil And Banana Salad 6pts Recipe
- 1 c. cooked green lentils
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 x onion minced
- 1/2 x red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 Tbsp. crushed garlic
- 1 lrg semi-ripe bananas peeled, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. coarsely minced cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. minced parsley salt and pepper
- 3 c. mixed salad greens (mesclun)
- 1. Place the lentils in a saucepan, cover generously with water, bring to a boil and simmer till just tender. Drain and transfer to a mixing bowl to cold.
- 2. In a frying pan, heat extra virgin olive oil and saute/fry the onion, bell pepper and garlic for about 2 min or possibly till soft. Add in the onion mix to the cooled lentils.
- 3. Carefully stir the bananas, vinegar and herbs into the lentils. Adjust seasoning to taste and refrigeratebefore serving or possibly serve at room temperature.
- VARIATION (tested): French green lentils cooked in water seasoned with Old Bay seasoning. Instead of raw bell, we used roasted bell pepper. Sliced the banana lengthwise, then diagonal 1/2-inch pcs. Our balsamic was a bit crude so we added a splash of Mirin and about 1/2 tsp. honey.
- Cuisine: "Africa"
- NOTES : The nutty flavor of the lentils contrasts well with the sweetness of the soft banana and piquant balsamic vinegar. Serve this salad with smoked fish such as tuna or possibly butterfish: 1/4-c. lentils per side dish. REVIEW: Enjoyable change of pace main dish salad served on mixed spring greens with cornbread on the side. We used roasted red bell pepper and French green lentils. Serve at room temperature. Offer this one to guests. - Hanneman 2002-06
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner