Good Old-fashioned Canadian Thanksgiving Dinner Recipe
A lovely turkey, stuffed with dressing and cranberries, and roasted to perfection, make this a classic that is not only easy on the budget, but impressive in flavor!
Cost per serving $9.61 view details
- 1 10 to 12 pound turkey, cleaned
- For the Dressing:
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 1/2 cups light rye bread, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to preference
- To prep the Bird:
- 1 tsp dried Basil
- McCormack's NO SALT ADDED Citrus pepper
- Freshly picked baby carrots , washed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 each green, red, yellow, and orange sweet pepper, coarsely sliced
- about 1 1/2 cups freshly picked celery
- 1 lb fresh Asparagus
- For the Gravy:
- stalks and roots from the fresh vegetables
- tops and stem of the peppers
- liver, kidneys, heart and neck of turkey
- 3 tbsp salt-reduced Kikkoman Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- rice flour (to thicken)
- 5 cups cold water
- # Make the dressing with its listed ingredients.
- # Do NOT soften the stuffing mixture with boiling water, but place the DRY ingredients into the lower cavity of the bird. And remaining may be stuffed into the neck cavity.
- # Add the butter into the cavity, and close by folding the legs up and securing
- # Cover wing tips with a piece of tinfoil to prevent them from charring
- # Place in moderate oven, covered with tinfoil at 350*F.
- # Baste often with the vegetable broth made from the roots and veggie tops; method to follow for making...
- # To make the Veggie broth:
- # Place cleaned tops and roots of vegetables into a pot of clean cold water, about 3 cups
- # add 2 tbsp soy sauce and the Worcestershire sauce.
- # Bring SLOWLY to the boil, then reduce to simmer for 30 minutes
- # As the bird roasts, baste it with the liquid, which will heartily intensify the flavor of the turkey.
- # To make the gravy:
- # Place the bird's heart, liver, kidneys and neck into 2 cups cold water.
- # Slowly heat until just under boiling, and keep simmering for bout one hour.
- # Note: ALL these preparation steps take place while the turkey is roasting; therefore I did not add this to the cooking time!
- # When this broth is cooked, break up the liver, kidneys, and remove the heart and neck; discard these. KEEP THE BROTH!
- # Puree the liver and kidneys, and add to the broth.
- # When the turkey is cooked, remove it from the oven, and tent with foil about 15 minutes
- # Bring the roasting pan to the stove top
- # add this gravy mixture to the pan drippings, and cook further, well finishing the liver and kidneys. Now that they are pureed, finishing will take little time.
- # Stir well, or beat with a mixer, and slowly add enough rice flour to thicken.
- # The vegetables are stir fried, with the exception of the potatoes, which are boiled and mashed well, with an addition of buttermilk, butter, salt, pepper, and parsley to your preference.
- # Other veggies commonly used in typical Canadian Thanksgiving dinners include corn niblets, pureed or mashed turnip, homemade rolls, etc...
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 774g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 168||19%|
|Total Fat 18.82g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 6.55g||26%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 72.59g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.0g||30%|