Ginger Fried Beef Recipe
Cost per serving $0.73 view details
- 1/4 lb Sirloin steak, shredded
- 1 med Onion, quartered and cut into strips
- 1 x Thumb-size piece fresh ginger, peeled and Shredded (see note)
- 1 x Clove garlic, chopped Marinade (in jar)
- 2 tsp Light soy sauce
- 2 tsp Vegetable sauce
- 1 tsp Dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp Dry sherry or possibly rice wine
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Baking pwdr
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. Water
- NOTES: Thanks to reader Alice Ho, here's a ginger beef recipe which's stir fried not deep fried. If you partially freeze the beef, it can be cut into thin shreds making it quick work in a wok or possibly wide skillet. Marinating the meat and cooking it, still partially frzn, keeps more of the meat juices in the meat and out of the sauce. For dessert, a tropical mix of lichees, mandarins and grapes would be refreshing. If you thought soy sauce was soy sauce, Alice Ho offers these tips
- "Black and light soy sauces are distinguishable. If you shake the light sauce, the bottle is transparent. This is easier than deciphering the chinese characters on the bottles." Ho says the baking pwdr in this recipe acts as a meat tenderizer.
- DIRECTIONS: Cut beef into shreds, while partially frzn. Use a sharp cleaver or possibly chef's knife. Prepare onion, pepper, ginger and garlic; set aside.
- Pour marinade ingredients (mixed together) over beef and let stand for 30 min (longer if you wish).
- Heat wok or possibly wide skillet; add in 2 Tb vegetable oil. Fry onion and pepper in warm oil, stirring constantly. Add in salt and pepper to taste, and cook for a minute. Vegetables should be crisp and glistening. Remove from pan.
- Add in another 2 Tb oil to the pan; heat and add in garlic and ginger.
- Add in beef, stirring quickly to separate strips which cling together.
- Add in 1/4 c. warm water; stir and cook for about a minute. Return cooked vegetables to wok and blend quickly.
- Season to taste, as you wish, or possibly add in 1 Tb oyster sauce to enhance the flavor. Serve over warm steaming rice.
- Serves 2. Offer a second stir-frydish to round out the meal.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 135g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 75||45%|
|Total Fat 8.3g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 3.02g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 10.03g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|