GINGER AND GARLIC FRIED RICE Recipe
I’ve adapted this recipe from JGV’s Ginger Fried Rice from his book, Asian Flavors of Jean-Georges. It has become one of my favorite ways to serve a take on fried rice, and I’ve enjoyed making it with several varieties of rice—jasmine, red jasmine, bamboo, long grain, short grain, etc. Every time, it always turns out to be a very tasty dish. I always serve it with a fish protein.
- Â¼ cup grape seed or canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 cups of day-old cooked rice (jasmine, bamboo, red â whatever you have on hand), at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Â¼ tablespoon grape seed or canola oil (must be neutral)
- 1 large egg
- SautÃ© half of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and ginger and season (very) lightly with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp and browned (see photo). Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large deep skillet over medium-low heat. Add scallions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. They should be tender but not browned.
- Add rice to the scallion mixture and cook, stirring well, until heated through. Season to taste with salt. Remove from heat. Remove rice from pan and place into a bowl about 4 inches in diameter. Invert bowl onto a serving plate. The rice will unmold into a dome. Drizzle the sesame oil and soy sauce around the mound of rice.
- Put the canola oil in a non-stick skillet and fry the egg, sunny-side up, until the edges are set, but the yolk is still runny*. Put the egg on top of the mound of rice. Top the mound of rice and egg with the garlic and ginger crisps and serve immediately
- *If youâre not comfortable with the âsunny side upâ raw egg yolk, then, as the egg is cooking, break up the yolk to cook to make a âscrambled eggâ. Put this fully-cooked egg on top of the rice mold and add garlic and ginger crisps. Serves 2
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 270g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 47||15%|
|Total Fat 5.34g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1.25g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 55.55g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||8%|