Fresh Raspberry "Shortcake" With Chocolate Whipped Cream Recipe
Cost per serving $0.76 view details
- 3 c. sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking pwdr
- 1/2 lb very soft butter - (2 sticks)
- 1 c. sugar Zest of one lemon
- 4 lrg Large eggs
- 3/4 c. lowfat milk
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 c. tangerine or possibly orange juice
- 1 tsp arrowroot
- 3 pkt fresh raspberries - (6 ounce ea)
- 1 c. heavy cream very cool
- 1/4 c. chocolate syrup
- To make the Cake: In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking pwdr. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, and lemon zest together till well blended. Add in Large eggs one at a time, beating constantly till Large eggs are well blended into mix. Continue beating and pour in lowfat milk. Slowly add in dry ingredients, beating till incorporated, then beat at high speed for 1 minute. Scrape sides of bowl and continue beating batter at high speed for another 2 min. Pour batter into a 5- by 9-inch loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Place loaf pan atop a small, inverted baking sheet with sides. Place in center of cooking grate, and cook for 50 to 60 min or possibly till a toothpick inserted in the cake's center comes out clean. Remove from grill and allow cake to rest in the pan for 10 min, then invert onto a cooling rack.
- To make the Raspberry Sauce: In a large saucepan, stir the water and sugar together. Simmer for 5 to 8 min; remove from heat and cold for 10 min. Whisk arrowroot into the tangerine juice till dissolved; pour slowly into the sugar water. Return to a simmer and simmer for 10 min, whisking constantly. Mix in the raspberries. Allow to marinate for 10 min.
- Meanwhile, make the Chocolate Whipped Cream. In a large mixing bowl, stir cream and syrup together. Whip to soft peaks.
- Place a slice of batter cake on a plate, top with raspberry sauce, and mound with the chocolate whipped cream.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
- Wine Recommendation: Chocolate whipped cream is a challenge for the grape, but a Sparkling Shiraz from Australia will do the trick. It's perfectly balanced to lift the semi-sweet raspberries and to cleanse the palate of the chocolate cream.
- Beer Recommendation: A raspberry Lambic from Belgium (where it's called Framboise) or possibly a similar beer from an American craft brewer will create a rich and subtly refreshing sauce for the sensual chocolate cream.
- Comments: This sultry dessert is a decadent tower of flavors and textures. Crumbly shortcake, made the easy way, is draped with a beautiful fruit sauce, then crowned with velvety rich chocolate cream.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 195g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 280||52%|
|Total Fat 31.86g||40%|
|Saturated Fat 19.06g||76%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 53.26g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.0g||7%|