Florentine Salisbury Steak Recipe
This dish is restaurant quality food which when served with mashed potatoes and green beans makes a delightful presentation.
At home,this was a favorite among our family. I have made some changes from the original one used by my mother and wife, and think you will enjoy it also. It is economical, relatively fast and so good. I always cook lots of onions and mushrooms to top the steak and potatoes. And be sure you have lots of gravy.
This meal calls for a red, sweet wine.
- Salisbury Steak
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs ( or stuffing mix)
- 1 (11 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 C. chopped green peppers
- 1/2 C. fine chopped onions
- 2 cloves crushed garlic ( or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1/2 C. chopped parsley
- 2 T. soy sauce
- 1 tsp chopped sage
- 1. Mix well all ingredients. Meat should have body.
- 2. Form 5-6 oval patties ( like little footballs)
- 3. In skillet ( I use an electric one at 350) fry patties, each side, for about 8- 10 minutes until "patchy scaled " on both sides.
- 4. Remove patties and set aside.
- 5. To the drippings, add an additional 3 T. oil 1-2 large thin sliced onion and mushrooms, cook until brown and onion is translucent.
- SAVE THIS FOR GRAVY
- Make gravy:
- 1/2 C. flour
- 4 C. water/milk
- 1 T. seasoned salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1-2 tsp soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp. browning liquid
- 1. At medium heat, sprinkle 1/2 C.flour over dripping and cook until flour is browned. It should appear like paste. ( Stir constantly as the flour will burn)
- 2. Prepare liquid to include 1 T. soy sauce, 2 tsp. browning liquid, seasoned salt and sugar and pour over flour. Stir to avoid clump. Let simmer until brown, blended and smooth. Add more or less liquid for right consistency.
- 3. Place meat in gravy, keep heat low, Spoon gravy over meat. Let cook for about 40-45 minutes until all flavors are absorbed. Make sure gravy is smooth and thick. Turn meat at least once
- This way it will not get dry on one side.
- 4. Remove from heat.
- 5. Serve hot over mashed potatoes, pasta, rice.
- Garnish with chopped chives, green onions or parsley.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 165g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 167||55%|
|Total Fat 18.64g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 6.84g||27%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 13.82g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|