Flavorful Grilled Shrimp Recipe
This is a classic grilled shrimp recipe originally from Craig Clairborne's NYT cookbook, then adapted by Ina Garten, and then finally perfected by me. :-) Seriously, this is a wonderful staple to have in your pantry of recipes. You can serve this over pasta (which we did the other night), as an appetizer with a variety of dipping sauces or salsas, over a salad, etc. You can vary the herbs and type of mustard to give it a slightly different flavor. You can also save 10 minutes of prep time be combining all the ingredients except the shrimp in a blender or food processor and pulsing to finely diced but not quite pasty texture instead of chopping the ingredients separately. If you do so, add a bit extra of everything to make up for what you will lose to the blender. Try this before the weather gets too cold!
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh italian (flat leaf) parsley, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, minced
- 1 tsp powdered mustard
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard-prepared">mustard or spicy brown mustard-prepared">mustard
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp good olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 pounds large or jumbo shrimp (16-24 per pound), peeled and deveined (with tails left on if serving with dipping sauce)
- Combine all ingredients but shrimp in a large bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to thoroughly coat. Cover and marinate for 20-60 minutes, or refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Heat your grill to medium high and oil to prevent sticking. Skewer 5-6 shrimp per skewer (it's ok for the shrimp to touch, but don't crowd them). Grill the shrimp for 1 1/2 minutes on each side, adding any of the remaining marinade from the bottom of the bowl upon turning. (It won't hurt to cook 2 minutes a side if you like your shrimp more charred and well done).
- Remove and serve immediately over pasta (we served over an olive-oil/parmesan spaghetti), over rice, or as an appetizer with a dipping sauce.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 321g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 127||34%|
|Total Fat 14.33g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 2.19g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 12.98g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3%|