Fish Pie Surprise Recipe
Cost per serving $2.66 view details
- 675 gm Floury potatoes, such as King Edwards Few sprigs of mint
- 1 x 300 gram pie haddock fillet, skinned and boned
- 225 ml Lowfat milk Extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- 1 x Garlic clove
- 225 gm Button mushrooms
- 225 gm Tender young spinach
- 150 ml Double cream
- 1 x 25 grams pie white bread, (crusts removed)
- 25 gm Unsalted butter, about
- 1 x 115 gram pac smoked salmon trimmings
- 1 x Lemon
- 1 x 50 grams blo Cheddar
- 350 gm Ripe tomatoes
- 1 sm Bunc fresh mixed herbs, (chervil, chives and basil) Salt and freshly grnd black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 and preheat the grill.
- 1 Place the potatoes and mint in a large pan of boiling salted water and cook for 12-15 min till completely tender and cooked through.
- 2 Place the haddock in a small saute/fry pan, season and pour in the lowfat milk.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 3-4 min till tender and cooked through.
- 3 Heat a frying pan. Add in 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil to the heated pan. Crush in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring.
- 4 Slice the mushrooms and then tip into the pan and cook for 3-4 min till tender and cooked through, tossing occasionally. Season to taste.
- 5 Place the spinach in a steamer set on the potatoes and cook for 3-4 min till completely tender and wilted.
- 6 Pour 85ml/3fl ounce cream into the mushroom mix, stirring till well combined. Cook for another 2-3 min, stirring occasionally, till reduced and slightly thickened.
- 7 Place the bread in a blender and blitz to fine breadcrumbs. Stir them into the mushroom mix to thicken and remove from the heat. Season to taste.
- 8 Pour the mushroom sauce into the bottom of a lightly buttered 1.2litre/3 pint Pyrex dish so you can clearly see the layers. Flake the fish on top in an even layer and add in a layer of spinach.
- 9 Pour over the remaining cream and then cover with foil. Bake in the oven for five min.
- 10 Arrange the smoked salmon in a single layer on a plate and squeeze over the lemon juice. Season with plenty of black pepper and set aside for a few min to marinade.
- 11 Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Mash to a puree, allowing the potatoes to dry out over a low heat. Beat in the butter and 120ml/4fl ounce lowfat milk till you have achieved a smooth puree. Season to taste.
- 12 Remove the pie from the oven and add in a layer of smoked salmon on top.
- Finish the pie with a layer of the potatoes and run a fork over the top.
- 13 Grate the Cheddar on top and place under the grill for a few min till bubbling and lightly golden brown.
- 14 For the Tomato Coulis: Place the tomatoes in a bowl of boiling water for 15-30 seconds, then remove with a slotted spoon and peel off the skins.
- 15 Cut the tomatoes into quarters, remove the seeds and finely dice the flesh.
- 16 Put in a bowl and season generously. Chop up the mixed herbs and stir them into the coulis with a healthy pinch of sugar.
- 17 Remove the pie from the grill and carefully take out a portion of the fish pie and transfer to a serving plate. Spoon around some of the coulis and serve at once.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 474g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 234||66%|
|Total Fat 26.66g||33%|
|Saturated Fat 16.41g||66%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 22.93g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.2g||17%|